2012年6月7日星期四

Teaching Street Dance - Why Mixed Ability Classes Will Cost You Students!

Teaching Street Dance - Why Mixed Ability Classes Will Cost You Students!

Question: "I recently set up a mixed ability Street Dance class and I'm struggling to teach it.

The complete beginner dancers in my class can't keep up with the choreography, they can't do certain moves,christian louboutin soldes, they get confused and feel embarrassed. But then when I slow it down, the more advanced dancers get frustrated and bored with the repetition and complain that they are not developing,christian louboutin soldes!

Some teachers I've spoken to suggest that I split the class and offer different ability levels,Christian Louboutin Pas Cher, but I'm worried I'll lose students if I do that and I can't afford to turn people away. Others say I shouldn't worry about it,scarpe hogan, most teachers offer mixed ability Street Dance classes and people are used to it. Help,christian louboutin france! I feel I'm losing students. What do you think I should do?"

Answer: Based on more than 18 years of working in the Street Dance industry and teaching thousands of people worldwide,hogan vendita, I suggest: Absolutely, offer different levels of Street Dance class. I say this for at least three reasons.

1. You cannot be all things, to all people, all of the time.

If you want to have a successful career as a Street Dance teacher,mbt schuhe, you need to meet the needs of your students. If you try to please everyone, you will end up pleasing no one.

So first things first, set up different levels of Street Dance classes so that you can cater to the needs of each level. I suggest you have three levels;

Beginners
Intermediates
Advanced

2. You have reason to believe that if you don't do something you will lose students.

And you are 100% correct in your assumption. Complete beginners will only struggle with the choreography and feel embarrassed and self-conscious for so long. In my experience that equates to about one lesson!! They just won't come back.

Advanced dancers, are so keen to develop, they will be attending someone else's class next week so that they can master the skills they need. You cannot afford to continue to run mixed ability classes - it is costing you students! Rectify the situation immediately and split your Street Dance classes into levels.

3. While you are correct to believe that you may initially lose some students, this loss will be insignificant compared to the long-term damage, if you do nothing.

Yes, you may lose a couple of students by suggesting that they attend a different level of class, but this will only be a couple of students - if that. Most of the students will be pleased that you will be able to better cater for their needs in a more suitable class.

If on the other hand you don't create different levels for the class, you will lose many more students continuously on a weekly basis. What's more you may do irreversible damage to your reputation, becoming known as a teacher who can't manage their class.Related articles:

没有评论:

发表评论